Whitehead Performance Toronto Infiniti G35 G37 guide:
The Infiniti G35 is based on the Nissan FM platform shared with the Nissan 350Z coupe and roadster sports car and Infiniti FX crossover SUV. The FM platform stands for “front midship” design where the engine is moved back towards the rear of the engine bay which in turn improves the weight distribution.
Sporting the ubiquitous VQ35DE engine, the Infiniti G35 uses a front-midship engine, rear-wheel drive layout (all-wheel drive is available for the G35x sedan) to achieve a 52% front/48% rear weight distribution. Both body styles are available with either a 5-speed automatic or 6-speed manual transmission, although the automatic is the only transmission available for the AWD sedan.
2003-2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan
All new for 2003, the Infiniti G35 Sedan was designed for the distinguished car buyer who wants something different. The G35 Sedan boasts an aggressive design with stacked headlights in the front and an aerodynamic body, living up to its reputation as an elite sports Sedan. The G35 is offered with or without leather, equipped with either a manual or automatic transmission. It features a solid 260 horsepower 3.5-liter V6 with choice of a 6-speed manual or a 5-speed automatic. Luxury amenities abound, including auto climate control, cruise control and keyless entry.
In 2004 the Infiniti G35x was introduced to the G35 sedan lineup featuring Nissan’s proprietary ATTESA E-TS AWD system.
In 2005 The G35 sedan was refreshed inside and out. The interior was given sportier gauges with better backlighting and higher quality trim and knobs. Genuine aluminum trim replaces “tinted” interior trim, and the dash and center console layout were revised. Rosewood trim becomes available as a package on the 2005 models. MP3/WMA playback was added to the now standard 6 disc in-dash CD player, and the cassette player was removed. The brakes were redesigned with larger discs and a different caliper design. Finally horsepower figures were revised to the G35 Coupe’s 280hp.
2003-2007 Infiniti G35 Coupe
All new for 2003, the Infiniti G35 Coupe is beautifully designed and exudes the elegance Infiniti lovers have come to appreciate. It’s offered with or without leather, equipped with either a manual or automatic transmission. It features a solid 280 horsepower 3.5-liter V6 that generates 270 lbs-ft of torque with choice of a 6-speed manual or a 5-speed automatic. Luxury amenities abound, including auto climate control, cruise control, keyless entry, full power accessories, lumbar seats and AM/FM/CD. Safety features include front/side-body/side-head airbags and ABS. 6-speed models had the option of Brembo brakes, sport suspension, and viscous LSD differential.
In 2005, the G35 coupe was refreshed inside and out. The interior was given sportier gauges with better backlighting and higher quality trim and knobs. Genuine aluminum trim replaces “tinted” interior trim, and the dash and center console layout were revised. Rosewood trim becomes available as a package on the 2005 models. MP3/WMA playback was added to the now standard 6 disc in-dash CD player, and the cassette player was removed. Brembo brakes were removed for the 2005 and 2006 models, and the brakes were redesigned with larger discs and a different caliper design. A sport-tuned suspension package was standard on all six-speed manual equipped models, which included a viscous limited slip differential and the higher output VQ35DE “Rev-UP” engine featuring 298hp.
The 2006 models received minor updates. On the exterior there were new headlights, taillights, spoiler, sport side sills, and front bumper. Bluetooth capability was added to the interior for hands-free phone use. Rear active steering was also an option for the first time on 2006 models. 2007 was a carryover year.
Known Infiniti G35 Issues
Common problems we at Whitehead Performance deal with on the Infiniti G35 Sedan and Coupe:
- Oil burning from faulty piston rings on a certain percentage of 2003-2007 Infiniti G35 VQ35DE engines. It’s important to check and top up the oil on a regular basis with any G35 so the engine doesn’t run low on oil and cause engine damage. We’ve seen cars come in with engine code P0021 cam timing position because there wasn’t enough oil left in the engine to engage the hydraulically activated variable cam timing gears. Oops!
- Oil burning from faulty piston rings on the majority of 2005-2007 Infiniti G35 6-speed VQ35DE-Rev Up engines. All these engines seem to burn oil unless you’re lucky enough to own a G35 that had the engine replaced by Infiniti under warranty. The replacement engines don’t seem to burn oil. Therefore it is critical to closely monitor and top up the engine oil as needed on the Rev Up engines. Letting these engines run low on oil hastens the cycle of oil burning and engine wear. There are no easy solutions to fix the Rev Up oil burning issue other than an engine rebuild.
- VQ35DE Rev Up engines also tend to have detonation issues due to excessive oil burning in the cylinders but can happen to regular VQ35DE engines as well. Whitehead Performance can retard the base ignition timing to eliminate or reduce engine detonation as a stop-gap measure that will protect the engine from detonation damage (burnt valves, broken piston rings, damaged pistons)
- Brake pads and rotors tend to be a frequent replacement item on the Infiniti G35 with the standard brakes (non-Brembo). While the Brembo brakes last longer, they can be expensive to replace when the time comes. Whitehead Performance has many superior aftermarket brake pad and brake rotors for the Brembo brake setup at a more reasonable price than the OEM parts.
- Infiniti G35 Coupe power window motors are a frequent replacement item. These power window motors are not known for their longevity and while Infiniti updated the power motors in 2005, we still see a fair number of the later G35 Coupe power window motors failing. From our experience, aftermarket rebuilt units are not a reliable long-term solution. Whitehead Performance only sells and installs G35 Coupe OEM Power Window Motors but has another source for the OEM motors and offers them for hundreds less than the current Canadian Infiniti dealer list price.
- Infiniti G35 Coupe door lock actuators are another frequent replacement item. Same story as the power window motors, they don’t last long and the revised 2005 -on models still have door lock issues. OEM parts are the only reliable solution and again, Whitehead Performance has more reasonable pricing on the OEM door lock actuators than the Canadian Infiniti dealer.
- Bose Radio + Auto Climate Control panel failing and no radio or heater a/c function due to the circuit board burning out. Happens to both Infiniti G35 Sedan and Coupe, mostly 2003 models. Two solutions to this problem: Whitehead Performance has found an alternate OEM circuit board that replaces the old circuit board for a fraction of the cost, only the SAT Radio function is lost. Or an aftermarket radio conversion panel and new aftermarket radio can be used to replace the stock audio unit and circuit board.
- Infiniti G35 Coupe – trunk release stops working and/or rear lights stop working. Problem lies in the wire harness that runs along the trunk hinges. Constant flexing of this harness causes the wires to break eventually and power is lost to the above items. The Whitehead Performance solution is to rewire and repair the trunk harness along the trunk hinges for a reliable, long-term solution.
Whitehead Performance has many years of experience modifying the Infiniti G35 for better power, handling, braking, aerodynamics and carries a wide range of exhaust, air intake, headers, spacers, coilovers, springs, shocks, brake upgrades, turbo kits, supercharger kits for your Infiniti G35.